Wrongful death involves negligence, reckless or misconduct that caused the death of another. Wrongful death claims include all kinds of accidental death and are filed by the surviving family members to be compensated for losses, both economic and non-economic, including:
- Compensation for your pain and suffering.
- Recovery of loss of earnings of the decedent.
- Compensation for your loss of companionship.
- Reimbursement for burial and funeral expenses.
- Recovery of your present and future financial losses.
- Reimbursement for your out of pocket expenses incurred.
- Reimbursement or payments of any medical expenses incurred.
What is my case worth?
The amount of damages wrongful death attorneys can obtain for you depends on many factors such as the age and health of the deceased and heirs, the life expectancy of the deceased and heirs, the financial loss, the emotional loss, who the heirs are, the insurance coverage, and whether or not surviving family members were dependent upon the deceased for income for support. Also to be considered in computing damages is the loss of companionship, loss of love and affection of the surviving spouse, children, parents and other surviving family members. You are also entitled to all out of pocket expenses incurred, such as funeral expenses.